About Me

My photo
Born in Toronto, I began dance training at an early age starting with ballet which eventually progressed into a main focus of jazz. Starting at the age of six I began my constant flip flopping of living in England and Canada. When in Toronto I attended the Interplay Dance School. In England I attended classes at Bodywork Studios. After alternating between living in England and Toronto with my family, I graduated from the Bethany Hills School near Peterborough, Ontario, to attend George Brown Dance with their foundation program. After George Brown I flew back to England for the third time in my life to attend the Cambridge Performing Arts College for three years, my major being dance, but discovered my true calling was the fashion industry. I have worked as a freelance model for three years and a stylist for just a year, also freelance. I put a lot of what I learned from my years of performing arts study into my modeling and into my styling, on occasion have actually had to model as a ballerina or style for dancers. I have worked with many prestigious people in the fashion industry already.

Wednesday 3 April 2013

Log Twenty Five- The Results Are Flowing In

Finally I am receiving the results I need from surveys. Unfortunately I could not really do much with results I had since the first batch of people responding to my survey had skipped a few questions which were very relevant to my research. Now I have 62 responses and still counting, mostly from emailing people directly rather than simply posting on my Facebook. I have also posted my survey on Facebook Groups that are directly linked with people working in fashion and have not only received a huge response that way but have been able to get responses from those who are not models, MUAs or photographers. It has enabled me  to broaden my reach to such people in fashion as buyers, stylists, graphic designers, magazine editors and bloggers. I did post on Twitter as Emily Jay was kind enough to suggest but it actually did not make much of a difference as I had hoped.

The responses are really varied but very fascinating. Most are people in the age ranges of 18-24 or 25-34. I have had no responses to those 55 years and older, I'm still wondering why that might be. Another thing I noticed which is quiet strange with the results is that the majority of participants put "Agree" to "Education in fashion is important in the success of one's business in this industry." But when it came to "In the fashion industry success depends primarily on who you know, not how talented/educated a person may be." The majority put "Agree". I have also been putting these results together on Excel to see the correlation between the answers with those who have obtained different education levels.

From what I've discovered everyone firmly believes hard work determines your success, after that opinions differ. Most with Graduate degrees believe the next important step to success in fashion is talent and mastering the latest technologies equally. Those with a Bachelors believe financial support is the next key to success while those with higher education believe highly on connections you have. Again, all very interesting responses and results. Below I have placed a chart compiling all of these results based on education level. Bare in mind these are from the first batch of responses.



I am hoping the results from interviews will begin to help answer why certain groups believe in certain results for success rather than others. This has definitely been a very interesting adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment