About Me

My photo
Born in Toronto, I began dance training at an early age starting with ballet which eventually progressed into a main focus of jazz. Starting at the age of six I began my constant flip flopping of living in England and Canada. When in Toronto I attended the Interplay Dance School. In England I attended classes at Bodywork Studios. After alternating between living in England and Toronto with my family, I graduated from the Bethany Hills School near Peterborough, Ontario, to attend George Brown Dance with their foundation program. After George Brown I flew back to England for the third time in my life to attend the Cambridge Performing Arts College for three years, my major being dance, but discovered my true calling was the fashion industry. I have worked as a freelance model for three years and a stylist for just a year, also freelance. I put a lot of what I learned from my years of performing arts study into my modeling and into my styling, on occasion have actually had to model as a ballerina or style for dancers. I have worked with many prestigious people in the fashion industry already.

Saturday 11 May 2013

Log Twenty Six- Almost At The End

I am here adding the finishing touches to everything. I am so excited to how everything has come together. I am relieved yet a little sad it is all coming to an end so soon, it only feels like yesterday I had signed up on this adventure in my career and education.

I won't reflect to much in this blog entry as I am saving that for the Critical Reflection, but I will say this; the course has taught me so much more than I had imagined it would. It has opened my eyes on my path into my career and even made me realise there is so much more to my industry.

This course has really inspired me to research more into the field of fashion from  different aspects. I am seeing fashion in a more academia light and have begun researching and reading on current and future trends, various materials used or will be more widely used, the different terms and extensively the history a fashion which has sparked my interest more than  anything else.

Reading on fashion history has been very interesting in itself. It is fascinating how fashion has changed or even shaped our society and our past. I have even started to share my findings with people on Facebook and my SIG group. In particular I discovered about the origin of the trench coat...

"Did you know... Burberry which was founded in 1856 by 21 year old Thomas Burberry who introduced gabardine in 1880 to his line (a water resistant yet breathable fabric where the yarn is waterproofed before weaving), was commissioned by the War Office in London, England in 1914 to make coats which could adapt to the harsh conditions faced by the soldiers in World War One? Hence their name the "trench" coat. That day the iconic coat was born and after World War One went from a staple to every soldier's life in the trenches to a staple in every fashionista's closet."


Another post I did via my Facebook that I hoped you spawn some interest in not only my current fashion colleagues and friends, but also to those not in the fashion industry was about the first Haute Couture designer...

"Did you know... Charles Frederick Worth is considered, "The Father of Couture"? Born in Bourne, Lincolnshire, England, he not only redefined women's fashionable shape but also the views from that dressmaking was a low class business to a elite and luxurious art form. He displayed model dresses at fashion shows four times a year, he was the first designer credited to putting his labels into his clothes and he was the first of the couturiers (a business or person who makes original garments to order for private clientele). 
It all began in 1846 when Worth made a few simplistic dresses for his wife who was the model at the Parisian drapers' shop, Gagelin and Opigez, that he worked for. Soon enough customers began requesting copies of their own.
When his partners refused to join him into the dressmaking business, Worth ventured on his own with the help of wealthy Swede, Otto Bobergh and together established Worth and Bobergh in 1858. Quickly the aristocratic, royals and celebrities of the time came pouring in, so much that Worth began to turn away customers which added to his demand and allure. After a hiatus during the Franco-Prussian War, Worth reopened his business without Bobergh in 1871 as the "House of Worth".
Worth died in 1895. After the establishment had been passed down from a long line of kin, relatives and descendants it finally closed its doors in 1956. But the House of Worth brand saw a resurgence in 1999 where it has been thriving ever since. Still focusing on the Edwardian corsets that made Worth the fashion success that it was in the 1800's, while giving them a modern twist. But will this brand fair any better in a day that the constricted corset could be overlooked with the 1920's revitalized "flapper dress" trend fast approaching in the horizon ("The Great Gatsby" movie anyone)? I for one would love to see a rebirth of these lavish and decadent designs despite my love for the 1920's, and maybe not so much the terrifyingly tiny waistlines produced by those clinching corsets."


I am so thrilled to see how my research and studies has encouraged to go beyond the rim of learning, has made me so inquisitive about my career and that I will constantly be learning and discovering far beyond this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment