About Me

My photo
Born in Toronto, I began dance training at an early age starting with ballet which eventually progressed into a main focus of jazz. Starting at the age of six I began my constant flip flopping of living in England and Canada. When in Toronto I attended the Interplay Dance School. In England I attended classes at Bodywork Studios. After alternating between living in England and Toronto with my family, I graduated from the Bethany Hills School near Peterborough, Ontario, to attend George Brown Dance with their foundation program. After George Brown I flew back to England for the third time in my life to attend the Cambridge Performing Arts College for three years, my major being dance, but discovered my true calling was the fashion industry. I have worked as a freelance model for three years and a stylist for just a year, also freelance. I put a lot of what I learned from my years of performing arts study into my modeling and into my styling, on occasion have actually had to model as a ballerina or style for dancers. I have worked with many prestigious people in the fashion industry already.

Monday 25 February 2013

Log Twenty Two- Update in Career

So it has been an awfully long time since I have done an update. I have been vigorously writing up my Critical Review and running around trying to hand out my surveys but new items in my life have been keeping me very occupied from blog updates, which is bad news for my blog but great news for my career and progress in the fashion industry.

I am extremely happy to announce that I am now a junior agent with TrueColours Model & Talent Agency here in Toronto. I have only been an agent for a month and I already have a solid roster of girls and guys who have also already been booking. The best part is the agency has exactly the same values and ideals as I do when it comes to models. They have a very diverse roster and give all their models different opportunities and experiences in the fashion industry, even finding jobs for acting and theatre.

There is so many different races, sizes, heights and ages that there is no restriction on what is considered beauty. I have been following this guideline while still making sure that my models meet some of the requirements that a high fashion model would meet as well as commercial.

Toronto still has a very outdated view on what a runway model should be. Blonde hair, blue eyes, Caucasian, 5'10 and overly thin body type. I am so proud that my models are so very different but so interesting which may not necessarily help me book them jobs in Toronto, but there is huge opportunity for places like Europe which are constantly trying to be different and look for something new. I would like to help change Toronto's view though. I have also been picking girls who are the trend or standard (blue eyes, blonde hair, tall) but are alternative (tattoos, pink hair) that are actually not considered "standard". Alternative models I have find make the best models, they are so creative and dramatic. They put so much passion into the photos and they have a no fear attitude.

I have really been enjoying it so far but it is a lot of work and does sometimes get in the way of my Critical Reflection progress. Although it has also helped because now I am getting a greater insight and understanding of this industry than I ever did as a model, jewellery designer or stylist. This can definitely help me progress further with the project. I just need to start focusing better on time management.

I will be posting another blog momentarily discussing more about agencies and body images/looks of models. My arguments about why sticking to the standard is not only harmful to your models' health but how it can be harmful to your business (the agency).

I have also attached a collage of some of my girls (and guy) on my roster, I am just extremely and excited to find such a beautiful, talented and interesting group of people. I am looking forward to the progress of this, where it will lead and how much it will impact this Critical Reflection. I am glad I did postpone the due date, this turn around in my life will make for interesting material.

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Victoria - when we talked my mind kept of thinking "Victoria will be abel to theorise this' so that bodes well for the analysis of the inquiry. Having others react with interested to ideas and research is a good sign! Looking forward to your next blog.

    ReplyDelete